Sigmarzeit 5 - 7

We are staring at a battle field of carnage and death. You know that battle is going on around you when you're in the midst of the fight, but you don't realize what is actually happening - people are really dying - until the battle is over. The Skaven ran, and we are left with the aftermath.

All I could do was stare. I was ready to shoot another arrow, but there were no ratmen in sight. Beside me, I heard Starlana throw up her last meal. Suddenly I was tired. Starlana was sick, Gunther was injured, and Arty was dead. What, exactly, had I gotten myself into?

I tried to comfort Starlana, while Randy came to Gunther and patched up some of his wounds. Apparently the man has some field medic experience. All the experience in the world won't bring Arty back, though.

Lord Erik offered us the use of his tent while things were cleaned up outside. The remaining men spent the night digging a mass grave for their peers and stacking the rat men up to burn in a pile. Lady, help me...I don't ever want to see another Skaven again.

Inside the tent I had some strange, orange-colored fruit. Then I set to work picking up the mess that had become of Lord Erik's things. There wasn't much fighting in the actual tent, and soon we laid down on his bed to rest.

Gunther and Lord Erik were able to salvage some clothing for me and Starlana. Gunther also brought back a normal sized bow. I tried it out, but I'm not strong enough to be able to use it. If we live through any more fights, I might have built up enough strength to give it another try.

Lord Erik then gave us some lavender sniff to place on our upper lip while he burnt the bodies of the rat men. He seems like a really great Lord.

When Starlana mentioned that we hadn't heard from the barges, Lord Erik allowed us to go look for them...with Gunther's help, of course. Randy decided he's like to come with us as well, while Todd rested up from the battle, digging, and stacking.

On our way to the river, we passed some kind of moving bush, which had trapped one of the peasants from Lord Erik's party. The guy must have run off, maybe looking to see if the people on the barge could come help us.

The tree was almost as deadly as the rat men! Gunther went in to try to rescue the peasant and was smacked around by the tree's branches, plus caught up in some vines. He had to cut his way out, with some help from Randy.

Starlana tried to stab the tree with her spear, but all she ended up doing was getting the weapon stuck on the truck, which was then protected by all the flailing branches. It took her, with my axe, and Randy with some fire to get in there and take care of the tree for good. The peasant died before we could save him. This area grows ever more deadly.

We found the river, but couldn't see the barge, so we headed upriver. AFter a few minutes, the barge came into sight. We were welcomed by the Captain, Darryl, and their scout, Allan. They offered to let us stay the night on the ship where it was safe. The captain was very hospitable, giving us some wine. I'm not used to strong drink, though, and couldn't tolerate it. Such excess is for the rich, only, I guess.

The next morning one of the boatmen, Henry, bragged of shooting a huge river rat with his bow. He offered me some lessons as we finally got everything settled and headed up river. I seem to have some kind of natural aptitude with this bow that Sir Doyle left me. Henry kept missing the trees he was shooting at on the shore, but I hit every one.

Early the following morning, 6 of Lord Erik's people, plus our sheep herder Lorr, abandoned ship. I guess one man had been talking about the futility of the job since so many others had died. His cowardly talk infected others, and they decided to leave right then. I seem to have some kind of curse on me, because Lorr was carrying my bag since Arty died. Now I have no one to carry the heavy thing for me. I swear, I can barely move with it on my back. I don't know how these people do it day in and day out.

We stopped on the river at a town called Bovi for half a day to resupply. Gunther talked Lord Erik into equipping is a little better, since he was suddenly indebted to less peasant-adventurers. I got 30 more arrows and some leather protection for my forearm while I'm shooting the bow.

Starlana and I also went into the tavern to try to recruit for Lord Erik. There were a few able-bodied young me who were willing to take us up on the offer. One of them even bought my meal and offered to carry my backpack for me as we traveled! Lord Erik seemed a little impressed when we returned with four more party members. I introduced Carl and Jesse to the others and we were ready to leave.

I don't remember the name of the two boys Starlana brought back.

Popular posts from this blog

[D&D 5e] Icewind Dale: Rime of the Frostmaiden 17

The Gathering Storm Complete Play Report