Sigmarzeit 2 - 3

(Boy, these sewers were long. Seriously...two months to explore. Now that's a little rediculous.)

We had no idea what was going on in the underground temple. Gunther wanted to destroy the place, though, and thought we could use Lorr's help to do it. We decided to head back to the Doyle manor to fetch him.

On the way to the manor, we spotted a short humanoid far off down the tunnel. He was pretty much at the edge of our vision, and he ran off when Gunther called to him. That's never an innocent sign.

We chased the figure throughout much of the sewer system, but couldn't catch up to it before it slipped down a small hole. We had no choice by to go back for Lorr.

After some modifications to the hole in the floor, and some explanations to the butler Bartloff, we were able to get Lorr into the sewer. We proceeded on to the temple.

The men were flexing their muscles and toppling over altar stones when I found some bones partially buried in the floor. The others could tell that they were human bones. To me, a bone is a bone. I couldn't tell you the difference between a human and a dragon bone. Well, I mean...ours are smaller, sure.

Anyway, we were digging out some bones, when Gunther spotted a beggar in the temple doorway. We thought we were the only ones running around down here (except the figure we chased earlier), so we were all suspicious. This beggar called himself Errol, and he told us that some other creatures had kidnapped his dog. They were holding the dog for ransom until Errol brought us to meet with them.

I know. The story get stranger by the second.

Errol told us that two short men with mottled skin had taken his dog, Hank. Now, hearing there was a dog involved caught my attention. I seem to have a natural affinity for animals. I felt sorry for the dog who was tragically stolen from his owner. I bet they were the only things each other had. As a matter of fact, Errol mentioned some times when Hank had found food for him. I know dogs can fend for themselves, so it surprises me when they hang around us humans who can offer them nothing but attention. Funny, how the world is made.

Errol led us back to the surface and to the warehouse district. He walked us into an alleyway and said that was where we were to meet the other men. It was a pretty scary place for a lady to be. I would have been rather frightened without Gunther and Lorr, though honestly Lorr isn't useful for much besides a shield. Seriously, last time we were accosted, what did he do? Shove someone over a sheep? The man's a beast with the heart of a puppy. No, I take that back. Puppies like to pretend to be ferocious.

Anyway, in the alley some trash shifts and out appears this four foot tall being covered in a robe. It started speaking broken Brettonian in a very sibilant accent. He come closer, obviously alone and obviously without a dog.

From the other end of the alley, another short figure arrives with Hank in his arms. Only, there's a problem. Hank's missing a leg. Errol ran up to the dog and grabbed him, yelling at the figure. Some time during all this, the strangest thing happens. His cowl blows backward, and we are looking at the mottled face of a real, live ratman!

I couldn't take anymore. I was scared. The men were between me and the first ratman; there was nothing between me and the second ratman but the wretched beggar and his now three-legged dog. I shot my first arrow from my new bow at the creature.

I barely missed as the beast shied from my shot. The other one started begging and pleading, saying they needed our help and they were willing to help us solve the noble murder mystery. Something in its tone caught Gunthar's attention and he talked us into not attacking any more.

I couldn't follow the entire exchange, but it seems the ratmen, or skaven as they are properly called, were some kind of runts of thier litter, unwanted and untrusted by any of their kindred. These two were bought and sold like some kind of commodity. They were used as spies to their current owners. They seem to be willing to help us find the one responsible for the murder of the nobles if we would somehow help them gain some honor. I'm not sure how we're to do that, but they are promising to help us earn 100 gold. That must have been what got Gunther's attention, too.

We agreed to meet the beasts at the nearest sewer grate, and we went back to the Doyle estate to get food and rest. Lady Doyle was willing to feed us, let us wash (in warm water!) in the barn, and sleep in the hay loft. She also let us have four of her guards to take on our mission. The guards are Arty, Benny, Randy, and Todd. They are all friendly enough, and Arty is actually kind of cute.

Day 3

The next morning, everyone met up at the sewer grate. Gunther explained the entire thing to the guards so they knew exactly what they were getting into. They didn't believe Gunther, not that I would have blamed them until I had seen the skaven for myself. They still agreed to come, and joined us in the sewer.

There we had some problem convincing them of the magic of the eye drops that their employer had left at our disposal. Eventually, Arty dared try them. Once they worked for him, the others followed in line. Then we met up with the skaven, which was trouble again, since they hadn't believed Gunther in the first place. Somehow, they still agreed to come with us. I think Gunther was displaying his pursuasive qualities that all priests are known for.

The skaven led us through the tunnels, out onto the beach/cliff area, through a field outside of town, into the forest, and into another tunnel under a large tree's roots. This tunnel was a little more cramped starting out, but got bigger was we went on.

After a bit of traveling, the skaven scouting ahead alerted his brother of a den of skaven slaves ahead. (Somehow the brothers can talk to each other over long distances. Don't ask. I did, and I didn't quite understand the creature's explanation. I don't think he knows himself.) They seemed to be waiting for some fighter skaven. So we hustled up to the cavern, our guides went in first and started talking to the pathetic creatures, then our guards charged the slaves. The fight was over quickly.

Now we have to head out of the cavern as quickly as possible before the warriors arrive. I also need to see if Arty will carry my backpack. It's awfully heavy...

Popular posts from this blog

[D&D 5e] Icewind Dale: Rime of the Frostmaiden 17

The Gathering Storm Complete Play Report